Mid-Year Meeting PEPs

The mid-year topical meeting of the Health Physics Society is scheduled for
Virginia Beach, Virginia from January 30th to February 2nd.  The topic this
year is Instrumentation, measurements, and electronic dosimetry.  To
compliment the meeting topics and PEP evaluation responses (yes, we do read
written responses) , the Continuing Education Committee has set up the
following 2 hour PEP classes for Jan 30th:

"Food irradiation: A Health Physicist's Primer"
"Measuring External Dose in the Environment"
"Airborne Gamma-Ray Surveying"
"Heavy-Duty Conveyorized, Automatic Contamination Monitoring Systems for
Free-Release of High Density Materials"
"Electronic Dosimetry"
"InSitu Measurements of Radionuclide Activity Using HPGe Gamma-Ray
Spectroscopy"
"Neutron-Sensitive Scintillating Glass Fiber Sensor for Pu Monitoring and
Analysis"
"The Development and Performance of Optically Stimulated Luminescence for
Personnel Monitoring"
"Use of Applied ALARA Techniques for Radiological Work"

Plus a one-hour lecture on Jan 31st on "Economical Ultra-High Sensitivity
GPS-based Gamma Detection Systems for Locating Errant Radioactive Sources,
Emergency Response, and Site Surveys."

Plus a one-hour lecture on Feb 1st on "Calibration and Control of Air
Sampling Flow Rates."

Please refer to the October HPS Newsletter or the HPS web site (www.hps.org)
for more information and abstracts.

Additional questions or suggestions for topics and/or speakers for the
meeting in Denver next summer may be sent directly to me.

John L. Salladay, CHP
E-mail: jlsalladay@mail.ports.navy.mil
Phone: (207) 438-2708
Fax:     (207) 438-1798