From: Joe Provost [mailto:provost@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 1999 1:10 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Radon class demo

Last year a string went out about demonstrations of half life.

One very interesting idea was to use a vacuum cleaner and an air filter
(even tissue/toilet paper) to  capture enough radon progeny to not only
show half-life, but natural
background, counting limitations, etc

I tried this using thick filter paper and after 2 min of filtering I did
not detect any activity over background with a GM counter.

Any ideas?  I am in the upper midwest and this area should have a pretty
high conc of radon gas.