From: Neon John [mailto:johngd@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 4:18 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: personrem/personSievert

William V Lipton wrote:

> I am appalled by those whose "pronoun envy" makes them see gender bias
where
> none exists.  Perhaps the following paragraph, from "A Handbook for
> Scholars," by Mary-Clair van Leunen (NY, Alfred A. Knopf 1978) will be of
> some comfort:

Thank you posting that.  Given a person with a penchant for
discriminating against someone based on how he or she pees, I've
always wondered why certain people would think that coercing that
person to change some verbiage would make any difference.  I tend to
regard those who abuse "person" to either be uneducated or unskilled
with the English language or both.  Just another of life's little
irrationalities, I guess.

John
--
John De Armond