Re: personrem/personSievert

I agree with Ruth to an extent and try consciously to use the term
person-rem.  This is in part due to a practice to use terms, thoughts, etc.,
that are not the typical norm, or at least my typical norm.  It keeps me on
my toes.  I am no way a proponent of any single bodies' rights and believe
women's rights to be degrading to women and affirmitive action degrading to
those that it tries to affirm.  I am also not offended by a person's usage
of man-rem and have heard many women in the field use it.

Unfortunately, in technical writings it harder to tell whether someone is
being derogatory or not, so I assume not.  When I am listing to someone say
"man-rem" or even "person-rem", there would have to be some pretty strong
intent on the speaker's part for me to hear something negative.

The point is, I know what you mean by man-rem and I know what you mean by
person-rem.  I think eventually, our profession will drift toward person-rem
more and more and there is no need to force it.  While we still have the
"man-rem" crowd around I intend to focus on what they have to teach and not
how they teach it.  A person can miss so much when the focus is distracted
by word choice.  I wish I had as much to offer as they do and hopefully
someday will.

Really, Really my opinion

Bob Denne
ATG