Person-rem costs

Previously proposed cost-effectiveness values for avoiding radiation doses have ranged from $10 to $2000 per person-rem. According to the 1993 HPS Position Statement on "Radiation Dose Limits for the General Public", for doses <1.0 rem , "a few tens of dollars per person-rem"  is recommended. For higher individual dose levels, as high as "a few  hundred dollars per person-rem avoided" is suggested. Of course, having an "elastic" cost-effectiveness value  for doses within the stochastic  range would seem to be economic nonsense (unless one could make a case ,for example, that a 100 mrem dose increase from say 2900  to 3000 mrem does more incremental harm than does an increase from 900 to 1000mrem).  The belief that  such "elasticity" is a valid presumption would preclude acceptance of the linear dose-effect model.
In any case, one can't have it both ways.  All things considered, IMHO, a single cost-effectiveness value of $100/person-rem ,
(or $10,000/pesron-sievert)  of dose avoided for all doses within the stochastic range ( 0 to 5.0 rem) would seem to be reasonable.
On the other hand, if hormesis ever becomes the accepted paradigm, cost-effectiveness may have to be expressed in terms of $/person-rem received and the dose recipient may have to compensate the dose provider, but that's another story. I hope this has been helpful.

jjcohen@prodigy.net