Re: Units of high dose

At 08:55 1999-10-01 -0500, you wrote:

>Radsafers,
>The Japanese criticality accident which has been filling the headlines, has
>apparently caused severe radiation injury to a few workers.  Possible doses
>received have been reported in Sievert.  The question I would like to pose
>to the experts: in the dose range where deterministic effects are
>prevalent, is it not more correct to measure in Gray?

In this case, when there's a large fraction of neutrons involved I prefer
Sv to Gy. A person getting 10 Sv would then show equivalent symptoms to a
person receiving 10 Gy from a pure gamma- or X-ray emitter.

     Dr. Bjorn Sandstrom         Tel: +46-90- 10 67 43
     FOA                      Mobile: +46-70-666 67 43
     SE-901 82 Umea              Fax: +46-90- 10 68 03
     Sweden               E-mail: sandstrom@ume.foa.se