Re: Dosimetry Processors: Use of Supplementary Information in Dose

> Do you ever use supplementary information provided by clients/users during the
> process of arriving at a dose estimate to be reported back to the client/user?

Yes.

> If so, under what circumstances, and what restrictions do you apply?

All of the following must be documented in writing, and be submitted
by the authorized representative from the facility:

(1)  Specifically if the client informs us that there was a specific
Control Badge to be used, instead of the routine badge returned.

(2) If the client says that the badge was irradiated to a specific
radiation environment, radiation type and energy dependent.

(3) If the badge was not worn and the client wants an estimate to be
used in lieu fo the dosimeter assigned.

(4) if the badge was worn by an individual not assigned that dosimeter.

(5) if the badge was inadvertently irradiated while not being worn for occupational exposure.

Another consideration is after the badge is processed, and the dose
is reported, the client takes exception to the dose. If upon
evaluation the dose is re-evaluated, and is still deemed to be an
accurate assessment of the dose, we inform the client that the
dosimeter response is valid. We as a processor do not know if the
badge was actually worn when irradiated, or was not worn when the
individual was irradiated. Therefore, if the client wants another
dose used in lieu of the dosimeter result, they must request in
writhing. We will then adjust the reading in the database, while
KEEPING the original dose assessment, and identify that the new dose
was an estimate provided by the client.

If further information is needed, please contact me directly.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205

              - G. K. Chesterton -