Re: Local Japanese Accept Reprocessing plant

This is a good example of how central governments control the thinking of their populations about things nuclear.  Japan, France and the old USSR had populations that didn't question things nuclear (very much).  The public was, for the most part, very supportive of nuclear power and other things nuclear.  The anti nuclear people didn't get very far with the public in those countries, not nearly as far as they did in other countries such as the USA, Sweden,
Germany and others where the government was not supportive of things nuclear.  Of course France has not had a significant nuclear incident.  The USSR has had many, but they were not reported to the public at the time they happened, except Chernobyl and that was reported only after another country blew the whistle.  Japan has had no really significant ones (omitting the nuclear bombs), not even the current one.  None-the-less, the populations of countries
where there is strong support of things nuclear don't seem to have as much concern as the populations in countries where the central government is not so supportive.

The antis take advantage of such a situation and are winning so far.  All this says to me is that the pro nukes are not effective in getting the word out about the benefits of the nuclear industry so the public has something against which to compare the doom sayers bad information.

However, the truth will win in the end.  When the information that low doses are not harmful, are beneficial, and may be essential to life gets solidified, as seems to be happening, at least that part of the problem will go away.  The public in Japan who were exposed to a little dose above natural background for the area will probably benefit from it, not be harmed.  The information coming out of the exposures of the public to C0-60 for many years indicates
quite clearly that doses above background are beneficial.  That information is not published yet so I can't say more about it.  Stay tuned.

Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

jenday@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> This appeared in the Washington Post, Saturday, October 2.  I guess that if you live around such facilities, you develop a certain acceptance of them.  According to a Greenpeace spokesman in an accompaning article, that there are hundred's of such plant's in Japan.  This seems like an odd "cottage industry."
>
> For Relaxed Residents Near Nuclear Plant, It Was Mostly Another Dog Day
> By Clay Chandler
>
> Washington Post Foreign Service
> Saturday, October 2, 1999; Page A17

begin:          vcard
fn:             Al Tschaeche
n:              Tschaeche;Al
org:            Nuclear Standards Unlimited
email;internet: antatnsu@postoffice.pacbell.net
title:          CEO
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE