RE: the RADSAFE tantrum re Lochbaum/NPR/UCS

First, I, too, was distressed at NPR's persistence in trying to get
sensational reports from the Japanese criticality accident.  Re the
interview with Lochbaum: he was pretty fair, but kept giving his answers a
sort of "anti-nuke" slant.

Now to the real question: a long, long time ago, as a new Ph. D., I joined
UCS precisely because of some of the people mentioned in Jim Dukelow's
posting (like Victor Weisskopf).  Imagine my surprise when UCS not only
didn't want my scientific input, they didn't even answer my letters or
respond to my questions.  I was brand new to "political science" then -- I
didn't even know it existed. I met one of their staff at an enviro
conference and asked him why my letters went unanswered, and he got pretty
unpleasant about it.  Many years later, when I was a Congressional Science
Fellow, I had similar experiences with UCS.  So my question is: with all the
highly credentialled scientists on the governing board, why does UCS follow
(albeit not stridently) an anti-nuke party line?

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Sandia National Laboratories
MS 0718, POB 5800