RE: the RADSAFE tantrum re Lochbaum/NPR/UCS

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Weiner, Ruth wrote:

  So my question is: with all the
> highly credentialled scientists on the governing board, why does UCS follow
> (albeit not stridently) an anti-nuke party line?

	In the early days, UCS was led by Henry Kendall as an anti-nuclear
power organization. It built up sources of revenue on that basis. Then,
Kendall decided to concentrate on problems of nuclear weapons, like
opposing the star-wars program. A very prominent scientist I know who is
very pro-nuclear power was interested in the same weapons problems. He
reached an agreement with Kendall that he would join the Board of UCS if
Kendall would drop his personal opposition to nuclear power. Kendall lived
up to his word and to a very large extent, UCS has put only a very small
part of its effort into nuclear power issues, concentrating on nuclear
weapons issues. Still, UCS has always had one (or perhaps more) employees
who are active in opposing nuclear power and he is the one the Media
consult.
	I suspect that the other prominent scientists on the UCS Board
were recruited in the same way as my friend mentioned above.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260