Re: Media Response - Take initiative (or - total apathy)

In a message dated 10/11/1999 12:11:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
josrozen@netmedia.net.il writes:

<< Although Communication on Nuclear  Safety Issue is important to teacher,
 with due respect such topic  is not the theme  of this subject: "Media
 Response -- Take initiative"
 So, I do believe the discussions, if going ahead,  should be concentrate in
 how this can be done. >>

I agree.  If I recall correctly, the original post was from Mr. Gunter who
suggested that each HPS chapter prepare a list of persons willing and able to
respond to questions about radiation safety issues from media.  This list
would be sent media representatives in the chapter's area.  The list might be
categorized into a few broad categories, such as medical HP, environmental
HP, nuclear power HP, etc.  I assume the list would contain, at least, the
names of the chapter officers.  There is, of course, no guarantee that the
media would use the list (maybe it should be updated and resent annually),
but at least it's there.

It seems to me the work is minimal.  Most of the work is preparing the list;
after that, the only work is updating the list.  The only work for people on
the list would be to respond to questions when (if?) called.

My experience is that local media love to get opinions from local experts,
and the less work needed to get that opinion, the better.  There is, of
course, no guarantee that the media would use the list (maybe it should be
updated and resent annually), but at least it's there.

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
St. Charles, MO
glennacarlson@aol.com