FW: THREE MEDIA DECEPTIONS IN TWO WEEKS !!

FYI, her's another try to set things straight...

> ----------

Dear Mr Franta

Thank you very much for your e-mail.

I have investigated  the issues you have raised, and discovered that our
initial reporting of what happened at the Tokaimura nuclear plant was
factually incorrect.

Both the television report, which we featured in realvideo, and the text of
the early versions of our stories wrongly reported that there had been an
explosion at the plant, which punched a hole in the plant's roof.

As it turns out, there was a "criticality flash", but neither an explosion
nor a hole in the roof.

 However, this was not a deliberate deception.

Our early reports were based on video footage that we received from a
reputed news agency. The television feed was flagged as showing pictures
taken in the immediate aftermath of last month's nuclear accident at
Tokaimura.

We used this material in good faith, and we will take up the issue with the
agency supplying the pictures.

I have now corrected all the relevant stories in our archive, and would like
to apologise that we got it wrong.

Yours sincerely

Tim Weber
Acting World Editor