Mindset

An open letter to Dan Burnstein

Dear Mr. Burnstein:

You made a very eloquent statement in your posting to RadSafe about what you called the ".  .   . polarized friend or foe mentality" of the nuclear industry.  And indeed there is much truth in what you say.  A long time ago I came to a similar conclusion about the polarization of the pro and anti nuclear forces.  I would suggest that in addition to the 5 items you cited, we need three more:  (6) open an honest dialog with those on the other side (7) improve the quality of science education at all levels in our schools so that our young people will be better equipped to interpret the claims made  (8) respond vigorously and rapidly to refute ad hominem attacks as well as to outrageous and unscientific claims, irrespective of which side is making them.

I would remind you, Mr. Burnstein, that polarization involves two poles, and the industry is not solely to blame for hyperbole and inaccuracy and wishful thinking; a good example on the opposite side comes from those who discredited out of hand the recent Hanford thyroid disease study (and in some cases trashed the independent scientists who did the work) because it did not support their preestablished beliefs that the Hanford radioidine releases were the cause of vastly increased numbers of thyroid cancers as well as a lot of other ailments.  Another example is the many American doomed to needlessly suffer and die early because this country, for whatever reasons but I would guess largely because of anti-nuclear pressure, imports more than 99% of the medically used radionuclides.  There is simply no large reactor that is permitted to produce medically useful radionuclides.  And yet another -- we have spent many millions of $ in the quest for the absolutely perfect waste disposal site, when the real question should be: Is the site adequate and will the disposal achieve a higher level of safety and economy than we now have?  And so high level radioactive waste disposal, which I daresay you will agree is a technological reality, languishes to the detriment of the American people, not only monitarily but because the wastes exist today in a less safe form than they would if we used the technology at our disposal to contain and isolate them.

(Regarding radioactive waste, I reiterate what I have said many times before: no one wants a solution to the problem of high level nuclear waste disposal.  The activists don't want a solution, for it takes away their cause.  The industry and regulators don't want a solution, for it takes away their jobs.  The media don't want a solution, for they would lose a lot of good copy and sell fewer newspapers and lose audience share.  The politicians don't want a solution, for it likely would cost them votes.  The only ones who want a solution are the American public, and nobody seems to give a hoot about them!!!.)

And so, to self professed sometime critic Mr. Burnstein, I, a self professed health physicist who believes that the mission of our profession is to protect people and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation while at the same time promoting its use for the benefit of people, would be delighted to work with you (or anyone else for that matter) to do what it takes to open a genuine and honest dialogue between the two poles, and to get us back on track steering a pragmatic middle course, to the overall betterment and safety of the American public and, of course, those who work in the nuclear industry.  United in common cause and genuinely working together with self interest put aside, critics and proponents can accomplish much.

Ron Kathren