Re: fetal exposure - threshold effects

Andrew

Maybe I'm not understanding your questions correctly, but the fetal effects
discussed, teratogenetic ones, are exactly those for which one might
reasonably expect to see sigmoidal dose-response curves and "practical
thresholds," because they appear to be deterministic (i.e., nonstochastic).
The evidence for the latter is, by definition, that one (typically)
observes "sigmoidal dose-response curves" and "practical thresholds."

The LNT model/hypothesis is for stochastic effects, e.g., the induction of
cancer. Whether in adult vs. child is, I think, neither here nor there, in
this context, except that a contrasting example might be the risks of
subsequent leukemias to children who were irradiated in utero.

Cheers
cja
alstonc@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu