Re: Skin Rash and PC's

In brief, pc's that are drycleaned multiple times eventually have a deposit
that builds up in the clothing.  When folks sweat, they dissolve the
residues of the drycleaning process and the residue can be very irritating
to certain sensitive individuals.  From my experience, the problem sets in
around the 15-20th dry cleaning on a set of pcs.  [This really dates me,
I'm afraid, because I don't think anyone drycleans pc's anymore because of
the hazardous waste problem.]

Similarly, water washed pcs can cause the same problem.  This generally
results from poor rinsing (i.e., detergent residues).  Most commercial
operations probably don't have this problem, but an in-house operation may
run into it.

You can handle the drycleaning problem by water washing the pc's from time
to time.  The residue problem with the water washed pcs can usually be
handled by better or longer rinsing.  Also, you may want to consider
changing the type of detergent that you are using, or perhaps rotate
detergents.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne/Boeing