RE: Landfill detector trips

Regarding landfill portal monitors:

I suspect that the primary motivation behind landfill owners/operators
installing sensitive portal monitors is NOT a state regulatory requirement
(indeed, aside from prohibitions on disposal of rad waste, I am not aware of
any federal or state regulations that establish a portal monitor
requirement, setpoint, calibration, operator training, etc.) -- rather,
operators of typical non-hazardous RCRA "D" landfills permitted to receive
non-hazardous waste do not want to incur any cleanup liability for rad
contamination under CERCLA ("Superfund") or comparable state law.  Portal
monitors are prevalent and their use is expanding, without comparable
education, training, or standardization. The usual practice seems to be a
"background zero" which results in many hits.

This phenomenon is presenting increasing difficulties for persons who
dispose of refractory materials, among other non-RCRA industrial solid
wastes that are slightly elevated in natural U and Th.  My understanding is
that some states provide informal guidance; and CRCPD has drafted a guidance
document, but more education is needed since portal monitors are evolving
into a  "practice."

Charles Simmons
Counsel for the
Zirconium Environmental Committee