Re: Alternative Iodine Administration Mechanism

Gene

I don't remember the paper, I'll try to find it. And I have not followed
this thread, other than by the subject lines of the postings, so I may be
speaking to the wrong issue. But, while the ingestion/absorption of small
quantities of stable iodine can measurably reduce the avidity of the
thyroid for the element (patients who are to receive doses of radioiodine
are put on iodine-free diets, and should also be restricted from the use of
Betadine, etc.), it seems unlikely that one can completely block it that
way. I don't remember the NCRP recommendations as to dosage, but, clearly,
blocking must require scores of milligrams, with very rapid uptake. Here
please note that the ICRP half-time of residence in the stomach is 0.5 h.

Regards
cja

At 11:43 AM 11/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
>The recent thread about methods of blocking iodine brought to mind a paper by
>Moody, et al., (1988), "The Effects of Topical Povidone Iodine Solution on
Serum