Re: Alternative Iodine Administration Mechanism

The following appears to pre-date the more recent study
with dogs mentioned by Gene Carbaugh, but may still be
of interest...

This excerpt below by Cresson H. Kearny is from his 1987
updated version of Nuclear War Survival Skills (He wrote
the original version while working as a research engineer
at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.) Copy of this page here... http://www.ki4u.com/free_book/s73p924.htm

"Research has been carried out in an effort to develop
a thyroid protection procedure based on the ordinary iodine
solutions which are used as disinfectants. Since iodine
solutions such as tincture of iodine and povidone-iodine
are dangerous poisons if taken orally, these experiments
have utilized absorption through the skin after topical
application on bare skin.

All reported experimental topical applications on human
skin have given less thyroid protection than does proper
oral administration of potassium iodide. Moreover,
undesirable side effects of skin application can be serious.
For these reasons researchers to date have not recommended a
procedure for the use of ordinary iodine solutions for
thyroid protection."