RE: Gould's Tooth Fairy Project (Link to article) -Reply

Both Sr-89 and Sr-90 are released from Millstone.  In 1998 we reported liquid
releases of 3.07E-4 curies (307 microcuries) of Sr-89 and 1.13E-4 curies (113
microcuries) of Sr-90.  Strontiums were not reported in gaseous releases in
1998; however, they have been reported in the past.  For example, in 1993 we
reported gaseous releases of 2.16E-4 curies (216 microcuries) of Sr-89 and
6.21E-7 curies (0.6 microcuries) of Sr-90.  Doses calculated for these levels
of releases (combined strontiums and other radionuclides) have been minuscule.
In over 25 years of environmental monitoring, we have never seen the shorter
half-life Sr-89 in milk.  Sr-90 regularly shows up in milk, especially in
summer when milking animals are in pasture, and especially in goats which eat
about anything.  Our environmental report has a graph showing a continuous
decline of Sr-90 in milk over the years.

I appreciate the insight given by several radsafe posts about the possibility
of skewed distribution of Sr-90 in the environment due to factors such as
atmospherics, meteorology, diet, etc.  However, this seems to tacitly
acknowledge that the claim of increased levels of Sr-90 in baby teeth is valid.
 I would like to see a peer review of the methods and data used to reach this
claim.

>>> "Heinmiller, Bruce" <heinmillerb@aecl.ca> 11/04/99 03:15pm >>>

Question:  The primary pathway of Sr to humans is through food - especially
milk.  The Sr isotope most related specifically to nuclear power plant
operations is Sr-89.  While you wouldn't expect to see this in teeth, I
believe you would expect to see it in milk sourced near nuclear power
plants, if the source of Sr was the power plant.  I believe Millstone, for
example, (one of the power plants cited in the Tooth Fairy Project) has
reported not detecting Sr-89 in milk sourced around Millstone, but my source
of this information is indirect.  Can anyone verify this?

Bruce Heinmiller CHP
heinmillerb@aecl.ca