Re: NCRP/NRC recommendations on dose limits for hot particles

Maybe I'm missing something, here.  How many hot particle exposures greater than 50
rems have been reported since 1994, when the new 10 CFR 20 went into effect?  I'm
not aware of any.  If there were any, I suspect that they involved a significant
rad controls failure.  The dose thru protective clothing was a significant problem
with the 7.5 rem limit, but is unlikely to be a problem with the 50 rem limit.  If
the particle gets on the skin, you have a significant problem, regardless of the
actual exposure or dose limit.  I wouldn't want a higher limit to be misused as an
excuse not to address programmatic issues.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com