Extremity Doses for NM

See NCRP Report No. 124.  "Sources and Magnitude of Occupational Exposures From
Nuclear Medicine Procedures."

Three year's worth of data shows me that the extremity doses of Nuclear Medicine
Technologists at our facility hover around
250-350 mrem per year.  There is of course, that one person who does more work
than others, or is the first person in the morning to do QC/QA activities, or
may fill in for the radiopharmacist.  That person received the highest annual
dose:  600-650 mrem.  Whole body doses are either equal or less except in rare
cases.

Regarding whole body doses:  "Numerous groups have estimated that medical
radiation workers in the United States receive annual effective doses between
2.5 and 5 mSv.  Doses will vary with the individual and the task." (pp. 9-10).
The 2.5 - 5 mSv is definitely on the mark for us (we are about 2.5-4 mSv).

Of course, there are so many factors which contribute to individual dose,
especially to the extremities:  the radionuclide, the activity, technologist's
injection aptitude, how far away the work station (computers, etc.)is to the
patient, how long the technologist stays in the room, level of patient handling
needs, etc.

Positron Emission Tomography (PET) technologists are quite different.  They
receive an average of 4-5 rem to their fingers annually, with an occasional 6
rem, and about 250-400 mrem to the whole body annually.  Of course we perform
exposure investigations at 10% and at 30% of the NRC limits (even though not NRC
regulated material).  We find these doses are generally commensurate with the
technologist's duties.  And -  these PET technologists are incredibly talented.

Diane Case, Ph.D, CHP

Rob Kraken stated the following:

> You might check with a good dosimetry vendor like ICN
pharmaceuticlas in Costa Mesa,CA  @ 1-714-545-0100  ask for
Sandy Perle-asst technical director.  I'm sure he could provide
common doses received from ring dosimeters etc.. RobK
honolulu@u1st.com<

Engelbretson, David A. wrote:

> Would anyone know of some good resources that describe dose
> estimates to hands and fingers from handling nuclear medicine
> radiopharmaceuticals?

> Thank you for your help.
>
> David Engelbretson, MS
> Asst. RSO