Re: Decay properties change at temperature extremes?

A short discussion on  half-life variability resulting from chemical changes is
given in the GE Chart of the Nuclides booklet (p. 9 in my 15th edition).  The
very slight change observed is attributed to the change in electron density
around the nucleus and is associated with decay mechanisms such as electron
capture that are related to electron density.  No mention is made of temperature
changes affecting half-lives, but you might want to look at the reference they
give:  "Survey on the Rate Perturbation of Nuclear Decay" by H.P. Hahn et al. in
Radiochimica Acta, vol. 23, pp 23-37 (1976).

David R. Simpson, PhD, CHP
University of Nebraska- Lincoln
dsimpson1@unl.edu

"Zoon, Robert (OD)" <razoon@exchange.nih.gov> on 11/15/99 09:55:16 AM