RE: Decay properties change at temperature extremes?

Radsafe colleagues,

I'm not sure whether this strays too much from permitted RADSAFE topics, but
your question is one that's been puzzling me a little as well -- especially
since last year's announcement of the famous experiment of super-cold Bose
Einstein Condensation (BEC) of atoms, using laser trapping & cooling.
The experiment involved neutral atoms (magnetic traps do work for neutral
particles - the field
interacts not with the charge but with the magnetic dipole moment), so it
should, in theory be possible to condense a bunch of neutrons also (the
laser frequency would probably have to different ??).
The point is that "free" neutrons have a half-life of ~ 12 minutes, whereas
neutrons inside (stable) atomic nuclei and in neutron stars are stable (or
extremely long-lived). So, one would expect that a BEC made of neutrons
would behave like an atomic nucleus or a piece of neutron-star-stuff  --
with unlimited life span. Wonder whether the transition would be sudden, or
whether there would be a gradual increase in life as the BEC state (the
neutron wavefunctions will start to interact with each other) is approached
? Presumably, a BEC made of atoms with radioactive nuclei would also result
in lifetime increases (?) - and would be easier to do experimentally than
the pure neutron version... maybe someone's even tried to do this already ?

Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca