HFBR Closed for Good?

I'm my dark drive up to work this morning I heard on WCBS (88 am) that the
HFBR would be closed for good.  The reasons were that of financial rather
than environmental.

(from http://www.newsradio88.com)
Brookhaven Could Close Beam Reactor
Congressman Mike Forbes says the Brookhaven National Laboratory's high flux
beam reactor could be closed permanently.
He says Energy Secretary Bill Richardson might make the announcement as
early as today.
The reactor -- which leaked radioactive material for over a decade -- was
temporarily closed in December 1996

This prompted me to look at some online resources.  I found
http://www.newsday.com/news/bnl/science.htm
<http://www.newsday.com/news/bnl/science.htm>
This site has some historical decent balanced commentary if you dig a
little.

Matt Williamson
Indian Point Unit 3
Williamson.m@nypa.gov