Re: In-flight radiation -Reply

The issue could be larger than just addressing flight crews. Before I
proceed, let me say that I don't think there is an issue to contend
with at all. While there is dose to the crew and passengers, there is
still no credible data suggesting that there is a problem, or
consequences. Having said that, let me take this issue one step
further, to the passengers.

The dose to flight crews is not extensive. Currently they are not
deemed to be occupationally exposed workers. There is a move to make
this definition change. If there is a change, they will exceed the
10% rule requiring monitoring. In my opinion, that is a big mistake,
due to the message it will send the public, for one.

Now let's address the flying public. If the crew is considered
occupationally exposed, then it seems to me that the passengers are
now being exposed due to the airlines activities. Seems that the next
step is to ensure that no passenger ever exceeds 0.1 rem (1 mSv) from
those activities. I am not recommending this, but given time, I
believe that this will become an issue, needlessly as I believe it to
be.

The only way to reduce exposure is time, distance and shielding. I
don't see any viable new techniques that is going to accomplish this.
Again, why do we really care? The data suggests that this is not an
issue.

Sander C. Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle