Re: Questions

I think there is a general feeling of frustration that is occuring as it seems that the world is getting more and more nuclear paranoid...and no matter what is presented, the facts are ignored.. witness "Project Tooth Fairy"...which gets a lot of press, and the press seems to be willing to give them a lot of coverage and our prfessional responses get buried back by the obits.  Infact the press is primed to believe that anything we would say, in the name of science, is because we are beholden to the nuclear industry and not because the science speaks for itself.  Its all about selling newspapers and getting the highest ratings.   Perhaps, and this is just a thought, the local chapters of the health physics societies could form  response teams in their areas  that 1)know how to talk to the press 2) have pre-prepared talking points 3) is immediately available to talk to the press or write letters to the editor (and much of those can be "canned")  and 4) courts the journalists the!
 way the anti-s do....  We need to put the right spin on things...you speak the truth, don't neglect or hide facts, or manipulate the truth,  but put the right spin on it. Maybe then, the journalists will come to us for our thoughts rather than immediately turning to Union of Conc. Scientists or others...
 these are only my thoughts and do not relfect the policies or thoughts of my employer.

>>> "John R. Laferriere 671-8316" <John.R.Laferriere@dupontpharma.com> 11/17 10:06 AM >>>
Another successful outreach effort to an interested member of the public/
future journalist!!

Shoot first and ask questions later!

Carol, PLEASE think for a nanosecond before responding like this to a
newcomer (or anyone else, for that matter).  How about a little tact and
patience for the 99.9% of the world's population that don't know as much
as you about this stuff?

"Dear Amanda:

Pick another research project.  You're dead wrong.  Doses of radiation much,
much higher than anyone gets from a nuclear power plant have been shown to
DECREASE breast cancer (the Canadian breast cancer study).  Only moderate to
high doses increase it.  You obviously don't know anything about nuclear
power plants..."

John Laferriere, CHP
john.r.laferriere@dupontpharma.com