Re: Questions

Thank you, Harry.  Those were my thoughts exactly.  If we want to
know why we've been pummeled in the popular press, the responses to
this student's queries can be Exhibit A.  This list may very well
have taken someone who was intent on doing journalism the way it
should be done and turned her into yet another anti-nuke.
Congratulations!  We must have a collective professional death wish.

While I'm at it, I must comment on another aspect of many responses
to lay questions. It seems almost reflexive with some respondents to
slough off the question with something to the effect "NCRP ## has
all the information you could ever want on the subject."  Probably
true.  But!  I'll lay odds that most people never heard of NCRP and
those who have probably don't know where to find them.  And for
those who know where to find them, in many parts of the country,
they are unavailable without major effort.  Where I live is an
example.  If I were a journalist and lived in Cleveland, TN, my
options would be: a) to buy a copy of "NCRP ##" after figuring out
where.  Not likely.  b) Drive to Atlanta to use Georgia Tech's
library.  C) Drive to Knoxville/Oak Ridge to use UT's library.
Neither of those likely.  But if I did, I'd probably be stunned by
the jargon.  If I felt competent to address her question I'd
practically write her paper for her while leading her by the hand to
sources of information.

Guys'n'Gals, we're the experts.  We're the ones lay people should be
able to turn to for the answers.  Damn sure they can get clear,
concise answers from the Anti crowd.  Our answers should be clear,
concise and in as simple a language as possible.  Some might
correctly argue that this is a professional list.  Absolutely true.
But until the list is closed and each new member is fully vetted as
a professional before admittance, then we have to accept that lay
people will be reading this list.

There's an old saying that my newspaper-owning family members
repeat: "you don't mess with people who buy ink by the tanker
truck."  In other words, the press holds the power in this country.
Try to remember that next time you "Dis" a layman who may just be a
journalist.

John

--
John De Armond