Interesting Meeting in Las Vegas

This is to let you know about a real interesting meeting I attended last
night at the UNLV campus.

Mayor of Las Vegas Oscar Goldman adressed the student chapter of the HPS and
presented some views of the Yucca mountain project that made everyone in the
room think about his perspective.

Las Vegas is now a thriving city with $Billions in investments, a tourist
industry like no other in the country.

The mayors perspectives on transportation of high and low level wastes
through the city are those of the typical uninformed member of the public.

    He was unaware that low level radioactive wastes had been transported
through Las Vegas for many years.
    He has never been to Yucca mountain but has scheduled a trip for next
month.
    He is not impressed by the fact that the mountain will bring industry
and $$.
    He is concerned for the well being of Las Vegas.

It made me think, as we tried to convince the Mayor that his fears were not
well founded, we really don't have a handle on this convince the public
thing.

Does anyone have presentation materials for mayors?

If you are a DOE person trying to sell Yucca mountain to Nevadans, I
recommend that you do a better job to convince this guy that it can be done
completely safe, and without putting Las Vegas in jeopardy at all.

This was an excellent meeting set up by the students at UNLV.

Great job!  Thank you for the invite.

Tom O'Dou
tom_dixie@msn.com