Re: Interesting Meeting in Las Vegas

Tom,
If the Mayor will just take the time to on the site tour, he will get all
of the information he is prepared to deal with on Yucca Mt.  The PR folks
on the project have all sorts of materials and I'm certain would be happy
to give the Mayor his very own presentation.

However, The Yucca Mt. Project has been around for 15 years.  Did the Mayor
just move to Vegas?  Fact is the Yucca Mt. site is 100 miles from Vegas.
The only possible impact is a slight increase in truck traffic carrying a
hazardous material through town.  One of the alternatives being considered
involved building  a special road to minimize any additional Rad Mat going
through Vegas proper.

The Yucca Mt. projects impact on Vegas in any real perspective is not
significant.  The Yucca Mt. Project in Nevada is a political issue.  The
State has played the delaying game for years and will continue to do so.
Did you notice that the recent attempt to amend some of the Federal law on
Yucca Mt. was delayed by the Nevada delegation?  Even if you convince the
Mayor Yucca Mt. has no significant on Vegas it will still be a political
issue.

DOE and the Project folks have been trying to win out there with the facts
for years. This has not worked and can not work as long as this remains a
political issue.  Write your congress person, those of you that live in a
state other than Nevada, and tell him to vote yes on the present set of
proposed amendments.

Andrew Tompkins
Woodstock, GA

jatalbq@mindspring.com