U.S. Utilities Believe Y2K Victory Near

Saturday November 20 4:49 AM ET

U.S. Utilities Believe Y2K Victory Near

SAN DIEGO (Reuters) - Never mind that a new TV movie prophecies
mayhem and near nuclear meltdowns, or that a cheeky Toyota commercial
has the lights going out in New York City, or that all kinds of weird
things happen every time the residents of planet Earth celebrate a
new millennium.

U.S. electric utilities say they have Y2K on the ropes and wish
people would stop worrying.

Aside from a terrorist attack on an electric grid or a massive case
of overconfidence, nothing can go wrong, industry experts say, while
keeping their fingers crossed just in case.

``Let's say we're the Yankees and it's the top of the 9th and it's 12
to 1, but we can't yell victory yet (because the game is not over),''
said Gerry Cauley, Y2K program coordinator for the North American
Electric Reliability Council.

Cauley, referring to the New York team's four-game World Series sweep
of the Atlanta Braves that made winning look easy, commented at a
recent council workshop here on final preparations for the Y2K
transition. Participants said the level of concern was clearly lower
than a year ago.

``Most of us feel it will be a nonevent but we need to be prepared,''
said Bonnie Woodson, who is coordinating the Year 2000, or Y2K,
efforts of Anaheim Public Utilities, whose customers include
entertainment theme park Disneyland.

Governments and industries have allocated billions of dollars to try
to make sure computer systems do not crash if systems misread the
date 2000. Many systems are programmed to read only the last two
digits of the year and could mistake 2000 for 1900, possibly causing
widespread malfunctions.

But some experts believe that while the industry has made tremendous
progress in dealing with the issue over the last 12 months, there are
dangerous signs of overconfidence.

Beware Of Overconfidence

``I'm starting to feel that there is a sense of complacency on the
electric industry's part that they have this thing licked and that it
is going to be a total nonevent. I think that is a very shortsighted
view,'' said Rick Cowles, president of CSAmerica, a New Jersey-based
technology consulting firm for the power industry.

Cowles said he did not expect a ``big bang'' on Jan. 1, 2000, but
rather a period of perhaps two to four weeks when errors accumulate
in data processing and control systems. ``If you don't start dealing
with those errors during the period when they are accumulating, you
are going to see some major crashes, but that is not unique to the
electric utility industry.''

He added that he expected some nuisance failures and a decline in the
reliability of utility delivery systems next year. ``I don't think we
are going to see anything that is catastrophic, that meets the end-of-
the-world predictions of some of the stronger Y2K pundits,'' Cowles
said.

Possible cyber or physical attacks by extremist groups are a concern
and utilities will increase security amid fears some groups may
strike on Jan. 1 for religious or other reasons.

``The electric utility industry is Y2K ready. It is not an
engineering problem any more, it is a people problem,'' said John
Castagna, a spokesman for the Edison Electric Institute, which
represents U.S. investor-owned utilities.

Threats To Computer And Physical Security

A security adviser at a major Midwestern utility warned that possible
threats to the grid could come from groups such as White Supremacists
seeking to launch a race war or others seeking to profit financially
from grid problems.

``You have a whole gamut of people who pose a threat to the grid for
a variety of reasons, from financial to political,'' said the
security expert, who asked not to be identified. He said there were
recent attempts to break into his company's computer systems,
including a four-minute attack from a Korean University in which
virtually all the company's ports were scanned as hackers searched
for a back door into the system.

``We have attempts from all over the world every day,'' he said,
adding that some utilities plan to sever links on the Internet for a
few hours on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day while many others are
likely to remain connected but watchful.

``There is some thought that with the increased vigilance someone who
wants to do mischief may just wait,'' he said.

Some utilities are concerned that an NBC movie due to air Nov. 21
called ``Y2K'' could inspire trouble because it depicts nuclear power
plants problems and widespread chaos. ``I expect I will get a lot of
calls the following day,'' one Y2K coordinator for an Eastern utility
said.

The Edison institute recently asked NBC affiliates around the country
to consider alternative programming. ``We are concerned that the NBC
film, while clearly intended as entertainment and not news, may
unnecessarily cause Americans to have unjustified fears about U.S.
preparedness for the conversion to the year 2000,'' an EEI letter
said.

EEI has also complained to Toyota about its commercial but has so far
received no response.

Others believe few will take the movie seriously.

``From some of the previews ... it is so crazy, so ridiculous. Anyone
who has got a couple of brain cells to rub together is going to be
able to see that it is obviously a stretch of the imagination,''
Cauley of NERC said.

There is a possibility some problems may be caused if there is
extremely low demand for electricity, which could lead to some power
lines being shut down. ``It is a concern and one of the
most real in terms of basis in fact,'' Cauley said.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle