BWCHPS Meeting

BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON CHAPTER OF THE HEALTH PHYSICS SOCIETY
DECEMBER 9, 1999  DINNER MEETING

SPEAKER:   Mr. Ray Johnson, CHP, P.E., President, National Health Physics
Society

The Health Physics Society - Who Are We, Who Do We Represent, and Who Do We Want
to Represent?

The BWCHPS is very please to have Ray Johnson, C.H.P., P.E., HPS President, as
our featured speaker on December 9, 1999.

Ray is currently President of CSI- Radiation Safety, a small training and
consulting firm in Gaithersburg, MD.  He has managed the contract for radiation
safety services at NIH since 1988.  He retired from the USPHS as a Commissioned
Officer in 1985 with 28 years of service. From 1983 to 1998 he edited the
Baltimore-Washington Chapter Newsletter.  He has served on the HPS Executive
Committee since 1992 as Secretary, Treasurer, and now President.  He has over
300 publications and presentations on radiation risk communication, radiation
measurements, and quality assurance.

Mr. Johnson's preface follows:

Clearly the Society's membership and needs have changed since its formation in
1956.   As we approach the 21st century, it is time to look at those changes.
More and more the Society is challenged to meet the needs of persons engaged in
operational and applied radiation safety, rather than academic or research
interests. Are we are providing membership services that are relevant for the
broad spectrum of persons with responsibilities for radiation safety?  Are we
connecting with those persons who could benefit from Society services? Audience
discussion of these issues will be welcomed.

Date:	THURSDAY, December 9, 1999

Time:	5:30-7 pm, Social hour with cash bar.

			7-8 pm 	Dinner:	Buffet:  Chicken Breast with Basil
Dijonaise, Seafood Newburg, Potatoes Au Gratin, Long Grain and Wild Rice, Green
Beans, Tortoloni with Olive Oil Parsley, Fruit Basket, Tossed Green Salad,
Assorted Dressings with Vegetable Tray, Hot Rolls and Coffee, and your choice of
Dessert such as Parfait, Chocolate Mouse, Chocolate Sundae, Ice Cream, Fruit
Pie, and Cream Pie.

			8-9-ish 	Presentation: Ray Johnson

Cost:				$18.75 per person.

Location: 			USUHS Dinner Hall

Reservations:		Please email  or call 202-518-7158 and leave your name,
and telephone number if you want a return call.  Reservation cut-off is at 3 pm,
December 9th.

Directions:  From 495, take the Bethesda exit. Go South on Rockville
Pike/Wisconsin Avenue/355 (whatever you want to call it).  About a mile down the
Pike you will see NIH on your right, and then Navy Hospital on your left.  Take
a left onto South Wood Rd (directly across from the NIH/Medical Center Metro).
Bear right onto Palmer road and drive straight until you can no longer do so
(you will pass AFRRI on left). Take a left and park in the Garage.  Exit garage,
cross the road and enter at "Security."  Show your ID, and take elevator up one
floor.

Diane L. Case, Ph.D., CHP
Email:   dcase@nih.gov