Re: Portable Lead Shields

David

I've never seen a "running" effect, even in shields that were decades old.
Bear in mind that it's not pure Pb, but an alloy, and usually is held in a
steel supporting frame. However, it's a perfectly legitimate question (from
a JCAHO surveyor, "mock" or not). To those of you outside the medical
field, please note that these shields typically provide at least a
tenth-value layer for Cs-137.

The answer(s) should be: that the integrity of the shield is verified, by
measurement of the transmitted radiation, with a calibrated instrument,
every time it is used. If one takes a reading just above the edge of the
shield, and one just below it, at the locus of highest exposure rate, this
is easy to do.

Good luck with the real thing
chris a.