RE: Portable Lead Shields

Radsafers:

The lead shields we have are basically a steel frame filled with very fine
lead shot (I would estimate the average diameter at about 0.5 mm). Although
ours are very old, I have seen the same ones advertised for sale in current
catalogues. I suspect that most of the lead shields out there are a similar
design.

Our shields have a filling cap on top. I removed it once to look inside. The
level of the top of the lead shot was about one inch down from the top of
the shield. Since these shields were here long before I was, I am not sure
if they changed over time or if they were always like this. Either way, it
is a good idea to check your shields to see where the "effective" top of the
shield is.

Matt

At 08:29 AM 12/03/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>"Cold flow" has occurred in lead.  The instances I heard of were for lead
>sheets attached to or bonded to plywood or some other support structure.  I
>am not familiar with the shields you are asking about.  I havw heard that
>using a Pb alloy, such as discussed in Chris' reply, minimizes or prevents
>the "cold flow".  All this to say it is a valid question.  The manufacturer
>of the shield, if they are still in business, should be able to help answer
>the question.
>
>Ray Carroll
>carrollrg@pgdp.usec.com

Matthew Schmid, M.Sc., MCCPM