Re: R: Environmental dose levels in Italy

Speaking of hills:  L'Aquila is at an elevation of 714 m  (2300 ft) a.s.l. and
is surrounded by high mountains.  I was surprised to see that Rome (which is
built on 7 very low hills) is reported at twice the dose rate!  However, Rome is
situated in a volcanic region (there are several crater lakes in the vicinity),
whereas L'Aquila is in a region of tectonic (earthquake) activity.  However, I
am still surprised that the cosmic ray component in L'Aquila would be so weak
compared to the terrestrial component in Rome.

Ernesto Faillace CHP

day@lsu.edu on 12/06/99 11:01:06 AM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu