RE: GM Calibration

Bruce,
I agree with your posts that the overresponse is due to the secondary
electrons from air reaching the GM's sensitive volume.

I think that the SCPE is not an issue with the GM tubes because there is no
information on imparted energy in the count / pulse.  Or existence of SCPE
simply does not matter for the GM tubes.

The primary electrons (when measuring betas) or the secondary electrons
(predominantly from the tube wall when measuring photons) are important. As
you point out the GM tube detects (almost) every single electron that enters
its sensitive volume.  The resulting pulse is of the same size regardless of
the  imparted energy from the electron and that is why no information on the
amount of absorbed energy can be extracted.

The so called 'energy compensated GM tubes'  are designed to give a count
rate proportional to the dose rate for a wide photon energies. (And, yes
they usually underrespond below few tens of keV, overrespond at around
130keV when compared to Cs or Co.)  The design  and the size of the tube are
the ultimate factors for the number of count rates per unit dose rate. Some
GM based meters also "integrate" the counts to provide the dose.

Miro

Miroslav Lieskovský
Health Physicist
NB POWER - PLGS