RE: estimates of human-human irradiations

Yes, most of the numbers you see for spousal irradiation are grossly in
error, as can be shown by a back-of-the-envelope calculation.  Some time
back I employed someone-else's idle student (he was between projects) to
corroborate my calculations with some Monte Carlo runs using simple
cylindrical phantoms on a water-bed.  As I recall, the agreement was good,
so I gave a branch talk entitled, "Spousal Irradiation - Debunking the
Folklore".

It's difficult to trace the origin of the incorrect data, but I think what
may have happened (in at least one misinformation lineage) is that someone a
few decades ago screwed up a calculation because they didn't bother to check
the decay scheme of K-40, and the resulting number for spousal irradiation
clearly exceeded the nuclear-power contribution to population dose (which
may still be true for the correct number), and this comparison was too cute
not to propagate (and further distort) geometrically. There are several
other sources of significant error as well.  Assuming, for example, that
Reference Man represents an average person, can introduce considerable error
in the case of K-40.

Bruce Heinmiller CHP
heinmillerb@aecl.ca