Re: FOIA (formerly NRC Policy Guidance on the Internet?)

I don't understand the problem here.  If you've have the document, why wait
for the official copy?  Why bother with FOIA?  You don't need an official
copy before it "can be officially commented upon, shown to Congress, slammed
in front of the eyeballs of Commissioners who have no idea what their vicious
staff and management are up to, perhaps used in Court........"   Comment on
it, show it Congress, slam it in front of the Commissioners.  What are you
waiting for?

But, if the "official" release of the document is important to you, FOIA
provides time limits, an appeal process, and judicial review.  Escalate the
process.  Crank up the internal and external political pressure.  It seems to
me a waste of time repeating the same request over and over and complaining
when you get the same or no response.  If the document is as embarrassing to
the NRC as you say, then you may have to file suit to get it.  And, if it is
as hazardous to the nation as you say, then you will want to.

Mr. Clayton is quite right.  This shouldn't be necessary.  But, if getting
any document was as easy as you wish it would be, we wouldn't need FOIA.

We're kind of short on facts here.  Has NRC acknowledged your request?  Has
NRC acknowledged the document's existence?  Is the document you're seeking
"draft Policy and Guidance Directive PG 83-2, REV.1, SUPPLEMENT 1:  RENEWAL
OF MATERIALS LICENSES.  Signed off in May, 1999."?  What reason has NRC given
for withholding the document?

Have you appealed (formally and informally) the denial of your request?  Have
you filed suit to get the document?  If not, and you don't have the
"official" document, you haven't done enough.

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
GlennACarlson@aol.com

In a message dated 12/22/1999 8:53:16 AM Central Standard Time,
csmarcus@ucla.edu writes:

<< Subj:     Re: FOIA (formerly NRC Policy Guidance on the Internet?)

 At 10:36 PM 12/21/99 -0600, you wrote:
 >The federal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) (5 USC 552) specifically
 >requires that "Each agency, upon any request for records . . .shall . .
 >.determine within 20 days . . .after the receipt of any such request
whether

[edited]

 >Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
 >St. Peters, MO
 >GlennACarlson@aol.com
 >
 >In a message dated 12/21/1999 7:34:58 PM Central Standard Time,
 >csmarcus@ucla.edu writes:
 >
 ><< Subj:     Re: NRC Policy Guidance on the Internet?
 >
 > Don't count on it.  The Society of Nuclear Medicine and the American
College
 > of Nuclear Physicians put in a FOIA for NRC's Draft Licensing Policy, which
 > came out in June.

[text deleted]

 >  >>

 What does "trying hard enough" mean?  Asking repeatedly?  More than that?
 Why should more than that be necessary?  A lot of NRC folks are on Radsafe.
 Will they do something about this?

  NRC hasn't really "lost" the document.  The document is heinous, and should
 be an embarassment to the Agency.  NRC is hiding it on purpose.

[text deleted]

 This document is the "smoking gun" typifying the evil perversion of certain
 people in NRC's "Medical" Program, and the pathetic incompetence and
 laziness of others.

[text deleted]

 Ciao, Carol
 <csmarcus@ucla.edu>

In a message dated 12/22/1999 9:25:19 AM Central Standard Time,