RE: Ancient Radiation levels

Off-topic answer to an off-topic question; only because I thought others in
the forum might be interested

Let's take any further discussion off-line

The processes usually anthropomorphized as "Nature" don't "care" about
individuals.  Not all deleterious characteristics are removed, nor
beneficial ones spread in the gene pool.

Assuming that homosexuality is genetically determined - which is far from
proven - the inheritance mechanism could be complex enough that the
"elimination" of individuals does not exert a selective pressure.  An
example would be some of the diseases that have been recently thought to
have multiple causal factors - a genetic susceptibility, which has to be
coupled to a viral attack to be expressed

Another possibility is that it is a side effect of a beneficial gene, in
similar manner to sickle cell anemia, which confers malaria resistance.  No
gene - normal red cells, but maybe die of malaria; two genes - no malaria,
but maybe die of abnormal red cells; one gene - normal red cells, resistant
to malaria

Dave Neil		neildm@id.doe.gov

The theory yields a lot, but it hardly brings us any closer to the secret of
the Old One. In any case I am convinced that He does not throw dice.
--Einstein, writing to Max Born, 4 December 1926