RE: Nuclear Power vs CO2

OK let's look at the total cycle.  Much more coal and oil need to be
extracted, so that CO2 would exceed the CO2 for nukes.  Nuke fuel
fabrication probably uses more energy than constructing the innards of a
coal or oil-burning plant.  If you don't have a mine-mouth plant, coal
transportation is going to take orders of magnitude more energy than fresh
nuke fuel transportation.  Pollutant trapping (especially particulate
trapping) for a coal plant is a high energy consumer.  So I don't think the
rest of the life cycle is going to change the relative proportion of CO2
emission from that of the power generation itself.  No I didn't address
everything, but the rest strikes me as a wash, pretty much.

This is not an argument over whether nukes are environmentally better,
worse, or the same as fossil fuel generation -- only that nukes produce less
CO2.  Personally, I don't think CO2 is a problem, and I think the net
environmental damage is generally just proportional to the power produced,
no matter what the conversion process and what the particular environmental
damage.

And (sorry I can't resist) I know I am "correct as far as [I] went..."

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Sandia National Laboratories
MS 0718, POB 5800