Re: same cel phone towers, different question

>Pocheco Pass [spelling?] in
>California.  This windmill farm only produces a few hundred >megawatts, and
>that only part time.  Could you imagine the outcry if >a nuclear power
>plant [at about ten times the averaged capacity] >were to kill a few dozen
>members of endangered species of raptor

Some power generation related constructions are obviously more problematic
than others. I know that we have had many heavy birds (swans, geese,
owls...) killed by flying into power lines in some areas but have no data
available. Wind mills in Sweden - some seem to have quite bad locations in
relation to the migratory bird habits - in particular in the southern part
of our country. Again, I have unfortunately no numbers available. For
vertebrate killings along roads (which I was involved in counting about 20
years ago - I will save you from a lot of off-topic detailed statistics I
have) the estimated number then seemed to be the order of 5 to 10 million
per year (annual deaths of people killed by cars was then about 1000 - it is
lower now - around 600 I think). In terms of numbers I doubt that power
lines could compete with cars but I suspect that there may be a selective
effect that doesn't compare.

My own thoughts and ideas,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/