[ RadSafe ] Background radiation vs. cancer Incidence

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Nov 10 16:58:44 CST 2010

Sorry RADAFErs,

I have no idea, how this message was sent. I actually intended to write a short comment (see below), but because of constant problems with the internet here in Sevilla, Spain I finally left it. Furthermore I principally do not repeat knowingly all the previous posts in my replies. (Maybe the list-owner should remind the RADSAFE community on this topic again.....)

What I intended to write, was a kind of warning:

It is to easy to say "Elevated radiation - elevated (or reduced...) cancer rates. There is far more information needed!

What kind of radiation? What is "background radiation"? External gamma radiation? Radon and daughter products?  Cosmic radiation? Inhalation? Ingestion (food and drinking water)?

What kind of cancer? Lung cancer from external gamma radiation or Cs-137 uptake (seems unlikely).

There are people on RADSAFE far more knowleadgable on radiation and cancer - maybe they could comment?

Best regard,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD, MinRat
Habicherg. 31/7