[ RadSafe ] Numbers --Re: Keeping an open mind Are we keeping an open mind?

Stewart Farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 19 15:52:57 CDT 2010

Hi all,

Just to correct one numeric error:
Carbon releases into the atmosphere are generally reported in gigatons of C to help in evaluating the carbon budget and the role of various pathways.

The number cited in the preceding post of 6 gigatons of C0-2 per year released to the air is very much lower than today's actual level of CO-2 release from fossil fuel burning.

Namely, in 2008, 8.7 gigatons of carbon were contained
 in 31.8 gigatons  ( 31.8E9 tons ) of CO2 which was released from fossil fuel combustion --- or 5.3 times more CO-2 than mentioned in the post below.  1 g of carbon upon burning creates 3.67 g CO-2  [ 44/12 as the ratio of atomic weight of CO-2 divided by C]

CO-2 releases to air from fossil fuels worldwide was about 6.14 gigatons in 1990, so the total CO-2 released by mankind has increased by 41% in only 20 or so years. Even just slowing down the increase of C0-2 released from humanity's burning of fossil fuels is going to be tough [as in don't bet on it].  I get a chuckle from some individuals and activist groups who
 maintain they can lower and even reverse the annual CO-2 release rate from today's rate of release in 15 or 20  with large renewable energy investments and conservation. These claims by some are merely a shell game.

If you want to read a very well written article just published yesterday about how government subsidies gone wild for solar electric development [and hybrid cars] in Spain have essentially bankrupted the country, and scared off foreign investors, see:

<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-18/spanish-solar-projects-on-brink-of-bankruptcy-as-subsidy-policies-founder.html>

I found the article above fascinating concerning the fiasco created by a government offering huge subsidies for solar electric developments where the
 guaranteed cost per kWe to developers from solar electric panels was 10 times or more the cost of generation from a coal [or nuclear ] power plant. Most of the solar panels came from outside Spain [largely China] and created very few of the jobs promised for the Spanish economy.

A similar problem with government subsidies for wind farms causing major problems for Spain was reported a few month's ago.

Stewart Farber, MSPH

Farber Medical Solutions, LLC

Bridgeport, CT 06604

[203] 441-8433 [office]