[ RadSafe ] Chris Busby

Savitz, Kenneth R (1UQ) savitzkr at y12.doe.gov
Thu Apr 21 08:13:31 CDT 2011

All,

I like to think of myself as open-minded; so, I will at least consider dissenting opinions and regard them as such and not as scientific fact.  Until we become omnipotent and no longer have the need for experts and statistics to tell us right from wrong, I will continue to listen to all sides of a story.

Having said that -

from a 2005 paper, by the Division of Pediatric Epidemiology and Clinical Research,
Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA. spector at epi.umn.edu  Maternal diet and infant leukemia: the DNA topoisomerase II inhibitor hypothesis: a report from the children's oncology group.

"Overall, maternal consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits during pregnancy was associated with a decreased risk of infant leukemia ..."

Perhaps, a reduced consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits in the aftermath of Chernobyl was a possible cause of the perceived increase in leukemia incidence rather than a leap to conclude -

"The importance of the infant leukemia results are that the in utero doses were well characterized, and that since the cohort is so well described, there is really no other explanation for the finding apart from exposure to ionizing radiation." (Busby)

I've also read somewhere recently (I can't recall the citation) that an increase in the infant leukemia before Chernobyl had been noted in Europe by actual epidemiological studies (as opposed to a newspaper article or other equally less acceptable source).

While Busby cites the "apparently inexplicable associations between childhood leukemia and exposure near nuclear sites, notably the ongoing child leukemia cluster near the UK Sellafield reprocessing plant" there is also the citation from CERRIE (one of Busby's references) that "scientists have pointed to childhood leukaemia clusters in areas remote from nuclear sites."  So what conclusion would one derive from that information only - two clusters with one near a nuclear site and the other not?

Making statements such as, "continues to result in the deaths of many millions of people." does not help credibility when Busby's paper does not examine mortality - only the incidence of a disease.  By my quick calculation, if all increases caused a mortality, the population of the earth would need to be in the many trillions to cause 'millions of deaths'.

I am neither an epidemiologist nor a statistician (and I have never played one in the media); therefore, I will leave the conclusions of a scientific study to those trained to make logical, statistical, and scientifically defendable arguments.  I may or may not agree with the conclusion based on perceived bias of the author(s) or their credibility or a potential or real financial or political motive or just the way they look; that is my prerogative - however uneducated and unreasonable.

Making statements such as "There are hundreds of peer review papers" and then citing only one; and then, within that paper, no fewer than seven of twenty references by the same author seems disingenuous, at best.   Most, if not all, scientifically acceptable papers involve a team of experts (statisticians, health physicists, chemists, physicians, epidemiologists, etc), each with their own role and the goal (and obligation) to remain objective to the findings.

So, in the absence of better information (or a scientific study on the matter), I would conclude that Busby is not ignorant (after all, he has a PhD in chemistry, I believe) - only writing and speaking out of his field of expertise.

Ken Savitz
(just a dosimetrist for many years)