[ RadSafe ] Removal of Cs-137 source from an old irradiator

Bob Hearn rhearn at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 16 09:17:43 CDT 2011

Not sure of all of the history, but J.L. Sheperd has manufactured similar
calibration irradiators for decades and is located in Burbank. He may have
made yours or at least be familiar with it. Not likely that many will be
interested in 137Cs of that vintage - likely leaker - but he would probably
quote services for removal (probably not cheap). I would press the issue
with OSRP as that type of source as you would expect is the target for
securing such materials. If they can give you a reason for not addressing
this, they should be able to refer you to an alternative; otherwise, what is
their mission? You could also contact Hopewell Designs / Hopewell
Enterprises in Alpharetta, GA who also make such devices.