[ RadSafe ] Advice - Dental x-ray survey

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Thu Feb 24 22:57:26 CST 2011

I did shielding calculations for a similar open dental operatory which
had the be that way because it was for treating prisoners and guards
also had to be present and in constant line of sight.

The evaluation thoroughly considered beam directions, surrounding
furniture (cabinets and the sort which were like partitions).

The guards would be offered leaded aprons, made aware of the operational
considerations and wear dosimeters.

I was able to calculate exposures below legal limits for the anticipated
workload - not as low as I usually like - but sufficient and warranted
considering the security requirements.  Fortunately dental exposures are
low to begin with.

I never saw a survey - but then I also never heard any complaints - ie.
it passed State inspection..