[ RadSafe ] ODP: Residential radon and lung cancer suppression

George Sallit georgesallit325 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 4 13:39:40 CST 2011

I can't do better than quote Wiki:

Radiation hormesis has not been accepted by either the United States
National Research Council,[1] or the National Council on Radiation
Protection and Measurements.[2] In addition, the United Nations Scientific
Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR) wrote in its most
recent report:[3]

  Until the [...] uncertainties on low-dose response are resolved, the
Committee believes that an increase in the risk of tumour induction
proportionate to the radiation dose is consistent with developing knowledge
and that it remains, accordingly, the most scientifically defensible
approximation of low-dose response. However, a strictly linear dose response
should not be expected in all circumstances.

    1.. ^ http://books.nap.edu/catalog/11340.html Health Risks from Exposure
to Low Levels of Ionizing Radiation: BEIR VII Phase 2
    2.. ^ NCRP Report No. 136 — Evaluation of the Linear-Nonthreshold
Dose-Response Model for Ionizing Radiation
    3.. ^ UNSCEAR 2000 REPORT Vol. II: Sources and Effects of Ionizing
Radiation: Annex G: Biological effects at low radiation doses. page 160,
paragraph 541.
ICRP also have a similar view.

The problem with trying to identify this effect in large populations are the
severe confounding effects and their signficant impacts on what are very
subtle effects.