[ RadSafe ] Gurke?Nein danke

Neil, David M neildm at id.doe.gov
Wed Jun 1 11:24:56 CDT 2011

Three handy quotes on the subject of government - they are even consecutive in the book:

"Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How's that again? I missed something.

Autocracy is based on the assumption that one man is wiser than a million men. Let's play that over again, too. Who decides?

Any government will work if authority and responsibility are equal and coordinate. This does not insure 'good' government; it simply insures that it will work. But such governments are rare--most people want to run things but want no part of the blame. This used to be called the 'backseat-driver syndrome.'  "

 - Robert A Heinlein (as Lazarus Long)

Dave Neil
DOE-ID Lessons Learned Coordinator

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  - George Santayana