[ RadSafe ] Detectability vs. Hazard ,uranium in peaches

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 23:32:24 CDT 2011

Dear Larry:

Years ago I had a lab assistant who was helping me disassemble a liquid
scintillation counter in order to repair it. Of course, there was a check
source deep in the machine shielded with lead.  As I began to remove the
heavy external lead shielding from the machine, he began to move further and
further away from the counter until by the last piece of shielding, he was
on the other side of the room.  And he looked pretty scared.

"What's the matter?" I asked.  He said, "You are exposing us to dangerous
radiation!"  I asked him from where.  He said, "The machine!"  I tried to
explain that the shielding was to keep outside radiation out, but he didn't
believe me and that the check source was contained a minuscule amount of
radioactive material.  I pulled-out my Ludlum Model 19 survey meter, and
showed him that the background was normal. He wasn't buying any of it. So I
gave him a copy of the operator's manual, and he went home nauseated.

Several hours later, about 11:00PM, he called me, and excitedly told me that
he had read the manual and discovered that he wasn't suffering from
excessive radiation exposure, that the shield really was to keep the outside
radiation out.  He came back to work the next day slightly embarrassed.

The poor boy had made himself sick with worry!

The truth is that scared people develop stress-related diseases.  Post
Chernobyl these included suicide, drug & alcohol abuse, diabetes, heart
disease and stroke.  I sincerely hope that the media has the sense to
moderate the discussion.

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist