[ RadSafe ] Iodine Chemistry & Geochemistry

Doug Huffman doug.huffman at wildblue.net
Wed Mar 23 15:36:10 CDT 2011

- From the Wikipedia, I note that iodized table salt has ~10 ppm KI.

"Salt that is iodised with iodide may slowly lose its iodine content by
exposure to excess air over long periods. The halogen iodide, over time
and exposure to excess oxygen and carbon dioxide, slowly oxidizes to
metal carbonate and elemental iodine, which then evaporates."

Katarzyna Waszkowiak & Krystyna Szymandera-Buszka. Effect of storage
conditions on potassium iodide stability in iodised table salt and
collagen preparations. International Journal of Food Science &
Technology. Volume 43 Issue 5, Pages 895 -899. (Published Online: 27 Nov
2007)