[ RadSafe ] Fwd: WG: [srp] France nuclear: Marcoule siteblastkills one

Mon Sep 12 13:15:29 CDT 2011

I read a very brief report about the deaths in Kenya from a "pipeline
explosion".  While I don't know about the details of this particular
event, there have been others in Kenya and other countries.  Some of
them have occurred when someone makes a leak in a gasoline pipeline, in
order to catch the gasoline in a bucket, for their own use or to sell
(the level of poverty is beyond easy imagining).  The methods producing
the leaks are sometimes rather direct, such as shooting at it with an
AK-47.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of
franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 10:55 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) MailingList
Cc: Glenn R. Marshall
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Fwd: WG: [srp] France nuclear: Marcoule
siteblastkills one

Glenn and RADSAFErs,

Yes, I read alternative updates now, that it was a smelter which was
used to melt down and therefore reduce volume for disposal. One worker
was reported to have been burnt to death, four people hurt, one of them
severely.

Also here the deaths in Kenya did not appear on front pages. Neither
have any deaths from car accidents been reported - I bet they occurred.
But that's the difference - those deaths cannot be attributed to
"nuclear" - though there was nothing nuclear in the Marcoule accident.

BTW: Close to Marcoule is Avignon, a site of eminent historic
importance, the seat of the antipopes which were installed by the French
kings, with fantastic architecture. And Cotes de Rhone is a great site
for wine... If you come in this area, don't miss it!

Best regards,

Franz

---- "Glenn R. Marshall" <GRMarshall at philotechnics.com> schrieb:
> Judging by the news report it appears they have either a smelter or an
incinerator that exploded and caught fire.  Probably a smelter because
the article discussed melting radioactive material, which I assume is
metallic waste.  "Explosion" might be an exaggeration.  In any event,
one worker has been killed and perhaps others burned.

> One story that did not make the front page was this one:  At least 75
people were killed in an oil pipeline explosion in Kenya.  So while this
appears to be at least 75 times more tragic than the smelter accident in
France, it gets less attention.  I suppose non-nuclear deaths are not
considered sexy by the media.  Shame!

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/09/12/more-than-80-kenyans-injured-aft
er-pipeline-explosion/

--